One of my favourite things to do is give gifts. Please note that I said “give gifts” not “buy gifts”. In fact, I hate shopping for other people. It’s not that I wouldn’t spend the money on them, it’s just that I can never find anything that would be worth their while. For this reason, this past holiday season I decided to make all of my gifts instead of buying them. I am a “do-it-yourself” enthusiast, so this task was not only an exciting way to try new projects but it was also a great way to give back to my community and our planet. Just for you, I have compiled a list outlining a few of the many benefits of THRIFTING, CRAFTING, and GIVING…
1. RECYCLE: By revamping old finds from a thrift store you are saving those items from a landfill. Like the old saying goes “One person’s junk is another persons treasure!”. So start making that junk into wonderful things!
2. DONATE: Most local thrift shops are operated by non-profit organizations. For example, my local thrift shop is run by volunteers and all of the proceeds go towards MCC, an organization striving to bring love, care, and peace to people all around the world. Do a little research…find out what you could be supporting. When you thrift-hunt in these places you are supporting more than your crafting itch.
3. UNIQUENESS: There is nothing worse than finding out that the gift you have given is the exact same as another gift your recipient has already received. Why not bypass this possibility by finding something unique from a thrift shop and then making it even more unique by adding your own touch. Not only will you be sure that it’s one of a kind but you also get the sheer joy of being creative (and if you’re anything like me, that is the best feeling)!
4. COST EFFICIENCY: No matter who you are, I’m sure you have been concerned about how you are going to pay for the perfect gift. Why not save yourself some worry? Thrift finds are incredibly cost efficient.
5. HANDMADE THOUGHTFULNESS: So your craftsmanship isn’t perfect? That doesn’t matter! It’s the handmade quality that makes something so great. You have the potential to personalize something for your loved ones that shows that you know them and that you care about them. Even if it isn’t perfect I’m sure they will appreciate the effort and the time invested. It’s the handmade qualities that make things that much more special.
Of course, these are just a few of the awesome benefits to hand-making your gifts, no matter the occasion. So, my challenge for you is to try it! Not only is it cost efficient, good for the environment, and beneficial to so many of those around our world, but it is also rewarding and relaxing! There is a DIY project out there for everyone on your gift list. Keep your eyes posted for many DIY project ideas coming your way right from this very blog. Happy crafting!