If you are anything like me, you LOVE to decorate cookies. My favourite cookies to bake are sugar cookies because they give you the freedom to make them as beautiful (or as ugly) as you would like. I have decided to share my Best Ever Sugar Cookie recipe with you so you can bring out your inner-decorator!
The recipe is easy and almost fool proof. Here it is:
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1. Combine the first three ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.
Tip: I used to hate using electric beaters because I thought my baking would be more “authentic” if I did it “the old fashioned way”. But I learned that using an electric beater actually makes your cookies fluffy and more desirable. So be a peach, use the beater.
2. Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture. Beat until blended. Add the flour mixture and continue to beat until the dough is smooth.
3. Divide the dough into two balls and wrap each ball in plastic wrap. Place the balls in the fridge and refrigerate for at least an hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Flour a surface and roll out sections of the dough with a rolling pin. I prefer my cookies to be fairly thin, but if they are too thin they will easily crack. Roll dough until it reaches a desirable thickness (1/4″ to 1/2″). Cut dough with cookie cutters.
5. Place cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are browned. Cool cookies completely before decorating.
ICING: Mix a little bit of softened butter, a little bit of milk, and a fair bit of icing sugar together in a bowl. Add icing sugar until it reaches a desired consistency. You can add food colouring to achieve your desired colours. Then decorate away, in whichever way you please!
Be creative and enjoy the process–hard work makes eating them that much more rewarding. One of my favourite things about sugar cookies is that they can be used for a variety of occasions. All you have to do is customize your shapes and your decorating!
Check out my tumblr account Diary of a Cookie Cutter to see some of the many sugar cookie creations I have made!